Australian & Foreign Tourists
Travelers to Japan will be eligible for the Japan Rail Pass if they obtain the following:
- A ‘temporary visitor’ stamp visa – This will go in your passport and obtained on arrival in to Japan for Australian passport holders. Please use a manned gate on arrival to Japan to ensure you get the stamp in your passport.
- A passport
UPDATE: From April 1, 2017, the pass will become unavailable to Japanese nationals with permanent residence outside of Japan.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
You must verify certain elements before purchasing the Japan Rail Pass.
The Japan Rail Pass is designed for those who are not nationals and would like to tour around the country.
Any nationals living outside of the country are allowed to purchase and use a pass, as long as they can prove that they do not live in the country.
For JAPANESE CITIZENS, if you:
1. Hold a passport for another country, you can use that location so you can have “temporary visitor” status. Just providing this passport is not enough to prove that you reside permanently in another country. 2. Hold a national passport, you will need to prove that you are eligible for the Japan Rail Pass
If you live permanently in another country, you will need to provide the following documentation
- Proof that you live in the foreign country permanently, such as a residence card
- Proof that you live outside of Japan, such as documents that have your name and address on and have been issued by official institutions
If you married someone who is not a national of Japan and reside in another country, you will need to provide these three documents
- Proof that you live outside of Japan, as mentioned above
- Proof that you are married to a person who is not a Japanese national (you do not need the Japanese translation)
- Proof that the residence of your spouse is outside of Japan, such as documents with the person’s name and address that have been issued by official institutions
The following are not sufficient to prove that you have permanent residence overseas:
- Driving license
- Work permit
- Temporary resident card
You will need to bring all documents listed above, even if you have two passports.
You will not be able to exchange your voucher inside Japan for your Japan Rail Pass if you cannot provide these documents.
It is up to the authority of JR to decide whether you should have the rail pass or not. We cannot act in your favour and ask that you check all the points above before purchasing.